My summer has pretty much consisted of practicing and playing music, either for money or just for kicks. As such, these next two weeks are going to be filled with nothing but practicing for shows, going to shows, and playing shows. Here is a list of them.
The weekend of death:
- Friday, July 20th @ The Guitar Merchant @ 6:00 PM for $10 (yikes). I will be playing onstage with a good friend of mine named Betsy and the rest of my band of
outsidersregular musicians, and we will be performing a set full of old soul music. There will also be other bands but it’s the Guitar Merchant, so they might not be worth seeing.
- Saturday, July 21st @ (unknown location) for free. This is a Mountair EP release event/fundraiser which I will not be playing at but will probably be attending. A trio of my good friends have formed a band called Saganist which will be performing that night. They sound kind of like Tennis. Kind of. Either way, worth seeing.
- Sunday, July 22nd with Affirmative Action @ Republic of Pie for free from 6-8 PM. The usual weekly sunday evening jazz show with the aforementioned bande a part. Come and enjoy coffee, jazz, and the strange harmony of their combination.
- Monday, July 23rd with Young Lovers @ Pehrspace in DTLA for $5. As Scott Pilgrim once said, “We’re terrible. Please come.” A show we’ve been preparing for months in advance. The whole lineup is amazing, with members of the band Bear Flag Republic playing in their new band Kiddo, along with the musical stylings of Van Exel?, and math-rock heavyweight duo The Littlest Viking who hail from San Pedro. We will be closing out this emotionally and mentally taxing show (by the grace of God) with our brand of post-rock/dreampop/shoegaze/what-have-you. It will be a show to remember for the rest of your life (hopefully).
And then the next weekend:
- Saturday, July 28th with Popheart @ MeowMeowz in Pasadena for free (unless you want to donate to Mountair). And now for something entirely different. I will be playing bass for pop
idolsconnoisseurs Popheart. Half of the Young Lovers rhythm section, me and Ford, will be their bassist and drummer, respectively. If you want the cream of the crop of pop, come to this show. But you know, if you live somewhere that’s not LA, it’s cool if you can’t either.
tl;dr: Goin hard in da paint this weekend and the next. Bring it, music.